I’m aiming for a resilient, frugal and empathetic Web.
I’m looking for projects I consider ethically correct, heading toward a sustainable world in an inclusive team. That may look very selective but if you reached that page we can discuss in depth what I mean by these statements. Don’t be afraid, my concern is more about values and cultural shift you want to bring in than to the current state of your product/team.
I consider technologies as a means to an end, and as such we will have to challenge our shared intentions regularly. I use to work in an iterative and incremental way, re-evaluating the produced value based on concrete feedback.
I’m currently: 👨🌾 quite busy, let’s chat anyway!
- Helping a team to grow up on a technical side, bringing my experience of an open and collaborative culture,
- developing quality websites with a tiny perimeter but relevant value for end users,
- taking care of the inclusivity of a product, from user experience to accessibility to performances and so on,
- tackling a particular issue/feature which requires a good expertise on the subject 💪,
- working from home when I need to achieve highly focused tasks and meeting people when it is necessary,
- sharing my expertise on topics I have some legitimate experience with (opendata, semantic web, python async, web performances).
That list is definitely not restrictive, let’s discuss.
- Working in an hostile and untrusty environment (open-space, intolerance, conflicts and so on),
- helping to achieve a goal I’m not convinced about,
- feeling the lack of empathy and respect towards users,
- lacking continuous feedback about things I work on,
- working on a product with no vision,
- keeping up alone within a tunnel of development.
That list is quite restrictive, intentionally.
What I did 🐝
- Still being part of a web cooperative for 10 years and counting,
- currently helping out aides-territoires to better understand and visualize their goals,
- currently developing with the Canada Research Chair in Digital Textualities a platform to analyze ancient Greek texts,
- involved in Parcours numériques at the technical level to smooth the building process of the books,
- working with the French health services for 2 years to better inform citizens about Covid-19 (22M unique visitors, 56M page views),
- working with the French government for 3 years to ease the law making process,
- experimenting with opendata and search on behalf of Etalab,
- support Les Ateliers de sens public to propose a digitally enriched experience of books,
- building from scratch a pan-Europeans news website for 6 months within a team in an incremental and iterative process,
- prototyping an ecosystem of websites, APIs and protocols for 6 months to check if a French law related to unmanned aerial vehicles was applicable,
- helping the French government for 2.5 years to release its open data through the data.gouv.fr portal focusing on quality and social interactions,
- working with Mozilla for 1.5 year, first on the payment platform for FirefoxOS and then on the popular addons.mozilla.org website,
- co-creating a tool dedicated to documentation for lawyers which is in use for almost a decade now,
- interfacing a search engine for 1 year with an hypermedia API in Tokyo,
- running my own solo company for 4 years on various projects,
- being part of a Swiss start-up for 1 year.
I had to strip down a few not to feel too old 😅.
Technical bingo: Python3, VanillaES6, HTML5, Redis, HTTP, hypermedia APIs, StimulusJS, Roll.
What I (also) did
- Becoming a dad (and still trying to figure out what it means),
- summiting Mont Fuji, Mont Blanc and Mont Royal 🙃,
- giving a couple of conferences around the globe,
- teaching HTML5/CSS3 to students for 2 years,
- practicing various endurance sports on a weekly basis,
- easing communities to create links through web-based tools and events,
- bushcrafting a few days here and then alone in the wilderness,
- writing on/about the Web quite regularly since 2004.
Cultural bingo: agile, LEAN, non-violence, homeschooling, commons, minimalism, open-source, decentralization.
What I can guarantee 🏅
- You will receive constant feedback from myself over the period of work we define together (daily progress, source code availability, pre-production from day 3 and so on)
- I will need your involvement almost daily, you have to be aware that from my experience it’s the main bottleneck leading to delays
- I will write as less code as I can, less to test, less to maintain, less bugs, less energy consumed, hopefully more focus, hence more value
- I will document and teach you and/or your team how to maintain that product for the long run, my goal is for you to be able to keep it running for at least 5 years
- If the product grows bigger than expected — yay! — I can easily integrate people I can trust within the team
If you need more guarantees, I’m glad you ask for it and we can iterate together! I’m always open to new propositions about the quality and the pertinence of my productions.
What we can do together 🙌
At last! I talked a lot about me and now it’s your turn to present your project, drop me an email 🤗 and let’s try to find a moment to discuss either in a public place close to Montreal or using a video conversation tool.