David Larlet, an enthusiast Web crafter based in Montreal 🇨🇦.
I’m aiming for a resilient, frugal and empathetic Web.
I’m looking for projects I consider ethically correct, heading toward a sustainable world in an inclusive team. That may look very selective but if you reached that page we can discuss in depth what I mean by these statements. Don’t be afraid, my concern is more about values and cultural shift you want to bring in than to the current state of your product/team.
I consider technologies as a means to an end, and as such we will have to challenge our shared intentions regularly. I use to work in an iterative and incremental way, re-evaluating the produced value based on concrete feedback.
I’m currently: 🤷♂️ not available until June, experimenting with the digitalization of the law making process with the French government.
- Helping a team to grow up on a technical side, bringing my experience of an open and collaborative culture,
- developing quality websites with a tiny perimeter but relevant value for end users,
- taking care of the inclusivity of a product, from user experience to accessibility to performances and so on,
- tackling a particular issue/feature which requires a good expertise on the subject 💪,
- working from home when I need to achieve highly focused tasks and meeting people when it is necessary,
- sharing my expertise on topics I have some legitimate experience with (opendata, semantic web, python async, web performances).
That list is definitely not restrictive, let’s discuss.
- Working in an hostile and untrusty environment (open-space, intolerance, conflicts and so on),
- helping to achieve a goal I’m not convinced about,
- feeling the lack of empathy and respect towards users,
- lacking continuous feedback about things I work on,
- working on a product with no vision,
- keeping up alone within a tunnel of development.
That list is quite restrictive, intentionally.
What I did
- Still being part of a web cooperative for 6 years and counting,
- currently working with the French government to ease the law making process,
- building from scratch a pan-Europeans news website for 6 months within a team in an incremental and iterative process,
- prototyping an ecosystem of websites, APIs and protocols for 6 months to check if a French law related to unmanned aerial vehicles was applicable,
- helping the French government for 2.5 years to release its open data through the data.gouv.fr portal focusing on quality and social interactions,
- working with Mozilla for 1.5 year, first on the payment platform for FirefoxOS and then on the popular addons.mozilla.org website,
- co-creating a tool dedicated to documentation for lawyers which is in use for almost a decade now,
- interfacing a search engine for 1 year with an hypermedia API in Tokyo,
- running my own solo company for 4 years on various projects,
- being part of a Swiss start-up for 1 year.
I had to strip down a few not to feel too old 😅.
Technical bingo: Python3, VanillaES6, HTML5, Redis, HTTP, hypermedia APIs, Roll.
What I (also) did
Cultural bingo: agile, LEAN, non-violence, homeschooling, commons, minimalism, open-source.
What I can guarantee 🏅
- You will receive constant feedback from myself over the period of work we define together (daily progress, source code availability, pre-production from day 3 and so on)
- I will need your involvement almost daily, you have to be aware that from my experience it’s the main bottleneck leading to delays
- I will write as less code as I can, less to test, less to maintain, less bugs, less energy consumed, hopefully more focus, hence more value
- I will document and teach you and/or your team how to maintain that product for the long run, my goal is for you to be able to keep it running for at least 5 years
- If the product grows bigger than expected — yay! — I can easily integrate people I can trust within the team
If you need more guarantees, I’m glad you ask for it and we can iterate together! I’m always open to new propositions about the quality and the pertinence of my productions.
What we can do together
At last! I talked a lot about me and now it’s your turn to present your project, drop me an email 🤗 and let’s try to find a moment to discuss either in a public place close to Montreal or using a video conversation tool.